December 22, 2009

The best christmas present ever

So Toby decided to give me his Christmas present early this year. What could a 21-month-old actually give to his mom you say? Well, to be honest Toby has no clue that what he gave me has me a little cheerier and more pleasant to be around. OK I'll stop beating around the bush.....Toby gave me the priceless and highly underrated gift of.....SLEEP!

Since he started sleeping through the night (which was around 11 months of age) Toby would wake up at 5:30 every morning without fail - even though he was definitely NOT done sleeping and would be super cranky until his nap. I read dozens of articles online on how to get him to sleep longer and gleaned every mom I knew for their advice. It was all in vain though because NOTHING would coax him back to sleep. Most people would just tell me to go to bed earlier so that I wouldn't be so tired waking up that early. True, that was the most logical fix for the situation. But its really hard going to be at 9:30 every night when a) your husband doesn't get home until 10:00 and b) you are a night owl. I absolutely love staying up late reading, writing, watching the news. Not to mention being able to tell Nick about all the happenings of my day (those are usually the days I haven't seen him for 14 hours and I've been cooped up in the house without any adult conversation).

Well, all it took was one simple suggestion from my brother Tim,and the problem was fixed. I was complaining about Toby's sleep issues because of the wretched daylight savings (he was waking up at 4:30) and Tim suggested that either me or Nick lay down next to the crib to see if he would go back to sleep. At first I was like, "Oh no, Toby will never go for that. If anything that will make him start waking up all through the night again." But I was desperate and honestly, what did I have to lose? The next morning we tried it. I sent Nick in there and within minutes Toby went back to sleep until 7:00. This went on for about a week until Toby finally woke up at 7:30 all on his own without Nicks assistance. And to this day he is still sleeping wonderfully and I am getting an extra two hours of sleep! Woo-hoo!!!!

Another added bonus is that Toby's now sleeping better when we travel to places. We spent this past weekend with Nicks parents and sister up in Hyrum, Utah. Although I loved for Toby to spend time with his grandparents and cousins, I absolutely dreaded the nights because he would wake up 5 - 6 times a night and sometimes not go back to sleep for hours. He was that way even as a little baby. For some reason he had to be in his own bed and in his own room. He never liked sleeping next to us or in some pack n' play. But, all anxiety was put to rest because he slept all night both nights we were at Nick's parents. I was absolutely elated - and shocked! This was the one trip Nick and I actually enjoyed ourselves and weren't snapping at each other because of how tired we were.

Ahh...bless you Toby. Sleep is definitely the gift that keeps on giving. :)

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Nice! Sleep was such a struggle for us for Elijah's first two years. He's repaying me for all the lost sleep now though by sleeping in until 8 or 8:30 most mornings now. I'm definitely a night owl too, so it's niiiice.

Anonymous said...

YEAH - Toby is finally sleeping in! I'm so happy for you. :)

Beck

Jessie said...

I swear, we have such funny things in common. I, too, love to stay up late, but really need sleep and should go to bed by 10pm - which I rarely do. WHY?!
Our boys have different personalities, but man - the sleep issues sound SO familiar. None of the examples in all the books ever sounded the least bit like Calvin and their tactics never worked on him (they did work on my other two boys, thank goodness). He also started sleeping through the night at 11 mos - but didn't get good at it until 14mos. Then he also woke up at 5:30am all the time, and never slept well away from home. Gack.
I'm telling you this because now, at age 4 1/2yrs, Calvin is a GREAT sleeper, at home and away. So all the consistency and good sleep habit tactics DO eventually pay off. Just stick to 'em!

I am SOOO happy for you and your new sleep gift. It should keep getting better - but there are weeks of setbacks here and there - so just plan on those and know they will pass.