March 28, 2010

Motherhood


I wanted to wait to do this post for Mother's Day, but I couldn't wait. My mom gave me this amazing book with a bunch of beautiful quotes and pictures on Motherhood. It really made me realize the sacredness of the work of a mother. I just wanted to dedicate this post to all you mom's who sacrifice and give so much to your children. I have a strong testimony that motherhood is the holiest of callings here on the earth today.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." - Elizabeth Stone

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling that what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time. The women of God know this." - Neal A. Maxwell

"Beyond all lessons, beyond the model she provided, my mother gave me a parents ultimate gift: she made me feel lovable and good. She paid attention; she listened; she remembered what I said. She did not think me perfect, but she accepted me, without qualification." - Fredelle Maynard


"A mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." - Henry Ward Beecher

"Living by basic good-mothering guidelines enables a mom to blend the responsibilities of parenthood with its joys; to know when to stand her ground and when to be flexible; and to absorb the lessons of the parenting gurus while also trusting her inner voice when it reasons that another cookie isn't work fighting over, or that her child won't suffer irreparable trauma if, once in awhile, Mom puts her own needs first." - Sue Woodman



"Don't get so involved in the duties of your life and your children that you forget the pleasure. Remember why you had children." - Lois Wyse

"Motherhood is the greatest potential influence for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world." - David O. McKay

And say to mothers
what a holy charge
Is theirs - with what a
kingly power their love
Might rule the fountain
of the newborn mind

-Lydia Huntley Sigourney

‘Through the thick and the thin of this, and through the occasional tears of it all, I know deep down inside I am doing God’s work. I know that in my motherhood I am in an eternal partnership with Him. I am deeply moved that God finds His ultimate purpose and meaning in being a parent...It is this realization,’ ‘that I try to recall on those inevitably difficult days when all of this can be a bit overwhelming. Maybe it is precisely our inability and anxiousness that urge us to reach out to Him and enhance His ability to reach back to us. Maybe He secretly hopes we will be anxious,’ she said, ‘and will plead for His help. Then, I believe, He can teach these children directly, through us, but with no resistance offered. I like that idea,’ she concludes. ‘It gives me hope. If I can be right before my Father in Heaven, perhaps His guidance to our children can be unimpeded. Maybe then it can be His work and His glory in a very literal sense’ - - Jeffrey R. Holland quoting a letter from a young mom


1 comment:

Katie McCaul said...

HEY! i am so glad i found your blog. I love that post...makes us moms feel important for a minute! I needed this on a day like today thanks:)