July 29, 2008

A night with Johnny M...


Nick and I went to the Colbie Caillat/John Mayer concert. This was my 6th time seeing John Mayer in concert and he was just as talented and entertaining as the first time I saw him in 2002. I know, I'm just a little infatuated with his amazing voice and crazy guitar skills. If you are one of those people who are thinking, "John Mayer? Doesn't he sing that stupid 'your body is a wonderland' song? He's lame!" If you have any kind of appreciation for laid back bluesy music and incredible guitar solos, I am telling you go to a John Mayer concert and you will be hooked.
I converted my friend Amber by taking her in 2003 and then my hubby by taking him to the Vegas concert in 2007. Both of them were only radio listeners of John Mayer and then after the concert they were like, "he is so much better live! Most people have no clue he is so talented!"
Ok, I just read through this blog entry and I just realized I sound like one of those paid programs you see on TV that sell blenders or exercise machines...."I have been using the Buns Buster since 2005 and I recommend it to all my friends! But wait! If you order now you will receive the Amazing Abs DVD (a $30 value) absolutely free!" hehehe

Seriously though, John does put on a good show. Nick and I were pretty close to the front too- thanks to my friend Jessie who had some connections. It was an awesome, relaxing, and much needed date night. And the USANA outdoor Amphitheater in Salt Lake is one of my favorites because you get to be right under the stars and its away from the city lights. A HUGE thank you to my sister Vanessa for watching the Tobe-man that night.

Oh and I guess I will put in an honorable mention for Colbie Caillat. I wasn't really a fan before the concert. I thought her "Bubbly" song was kind of average and way overplayed on the radio. But she honestly seemed to have a real natural talent about her. I am not a fan of very many female artists out there but her music seemed really pure and entertaining - a hard thing to come by these days when many girl songwriters get big with their skanky bodies and whiny, fake voices that have been digitally altered.

Ok big breath. *sigh* Sorry about that - every once in a while my extreme animosity towards singers like Britney Spears and the Pussy Cat Dolls comes gushing out without warning. Musicians (if you can even call them that) who I personally feel have half-baked talent, don't know how to write their own songs, but manage to make an obscene amount of money in the music industry because they exploit their bodies, cake on the cover girl and then put a beat to shallow lyrics about their love life, or lack thereof. Ah...and there I go again.... :) Thats another blog for another day.
Well I encourage all to check out the John Mayer video clip I posted prior to this lengthy musician review.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tim & Jodi said...

Isn't John Mayer the guy who sings "Country Roads"? I thought he died. I can't believe you went and saw a guy pretend to be someone who is dead, what a waste of money.

Tim