August 17, 2014

Summer has come and passed...

We've had a lot of thunderstorms this summer...and I've loved every minute of it.


So has this girl.


This is the 3rd summer in a row where IM Flash (Nick's employer) has rented out this fun, little water park called Cowabunga Bay. Not only is the park ours for the night, but IM Flash caters in food and dessert and does a drawing for prizes! This year they had Cafe Rio and Schwan's ice cream.  I think that was the highlight of the evening for the pregnant lady who can't go on any slides. I'm so grateful for Nick's awesome employer (especially since I would never pay money to get into this place because I think it's way overpriced).





Our evening at Cowabunga Bay was the end of our summer.  

The next morning Toby started 1st grade. Can't you tell he's just bursting with enthusiasm? 
Actually, he was bugged at me for following him into the school and taking his picture. Underneath that stone face was an excited little boy. Promise.   


Look at how grown up he is.  I love my Toby-man.

Side note: I laugh a little when parents mourn the last days of summer because they know it means getting up early for school.  Wouldn't know what that is like. This boy is usually up before 7 every morning - and wants mom next to him to watch his morning cartoons. So getting up for school was just another morning to us. 


 I wondered how he'd do with being at school ALL DAY. The first day he came home and said he loved school because they had "3 recesses instead of 2 and no homework." By Friday, when things started to become more school-ish, he said he was tired of being at school all day. Oh my little active boy. Luckily fall soccer starts up in a couple of weeks so that should provide another "recess" for him. :)

As for Aspen May, we started potty training. She was doing AWESOME and I really thought we were done with diapers for good. But then she suddenly lost interest.  :( I've gotta get new stickers or incentives or something. Your diaper days are numbered, little one.


This is just a pic of her sleeping with her T-Rex. He was a gift from grandpa and grandma Rarick.  She loves princesses and My Little Pony stuff, but has a special spot for dinosaurs, too. She reminds me so much of me as a kid.  I loved playing with dolls, but I also played with rubber snakes, refused to take baths or comb my hair. She's a little mini-me, I guess.



She will be starting speech therapy in a couple of weeks through the school district.  And probably have some additional therapy through a clinic. She is a bright little girl. She just can't seem to get those words out as well as other kids her age.  It's really hard on me as a mom. I kind of take it personally - even though I know I shouldn't. But that's just what we do as parents, right? Feel like everything our kids do (or don't do) is a direct reflection of our parenting...or lack thereof? *Sigh* All I have to say is, don't take for granted that your little one can tell you things about their day, or what they're mad about, or that they love you.  Because I'm still waiting to hear those words come out of this cute girl's mouth.

And then there's Loki the corgi.

What's not to love about this fur ball?  He is the most loving, expressive, adorable dog on the planet.



And apparently he thinks he's a cat, too. He loves to lay on the couch cushions. 


Just know I take a lot of pictures of him (not shown) because I'm kind of obsessed with him.
The feeling is mutual though.




"Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell." - Emily Dickinson
(Just a favorite quote)

He is such a sensitive and sweet little pup.  Those early months of my pregnancy where I was really sick and having a hard time keeping food down, he would sleep on the floor right next to my bed. And then whenever I sat down on the couch he nuzzled his cold, wet nose under my arm - his way of comforting me. He's just precious and I'm so glad he's apart of our family.

That pretty much wraps up our summer/school happenings.  I don't know about you, but I'm ready for some cooler temperatures, corn mazes and beautiful fall colors. Bring it on!

No comments: