September 12, 2013

A long time coming

So I have some good news. OK, it's actually FANTASTIC, AWESOME, BEEN-WAITING-FOR THIS-FOREVER NEWS.

Nick is no longer working on Sunday!!!!

Alright, some of you already knew this tidbit of info since I announced it on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. But I simply must document this event on my blog. It's kind of a big deal. :)

So let me start this off with a tender memory that makes me tear up whenever I think about it. Nick started working Sunday's in December of 2010. I remember it like it was yesterday because that very first Sunday he worked, I went over to Mikel's apartment to hang out with her and her daughter, Azia, for a few hours. I was pregnant with Aspen and Toby was the same age Aspen is now. I can still clearly remember our conversations. We watched Eclipse together, she pointed out a favorite song, we laughed a lot (there was sure to be laughter with Mikel). It's still hard to think about. It still hurts. But at the same time, I'm so glad I have that memory because just a few weeks later she passed away. How invaluable for me to have had that one-on-one time before she left our family for a time. Gosh, I miss her.

After that, my Sunday's went something like this: If Nick was working the day shift, he was gone from 5:30 am till 7:00 pm. If he was working graveyards, I would wake up with the kids, get them ready, wake up Nick for Sacrament meeting, Nick would go back home after Sacrament meeting to catch some more Z's, I would bring the kiddos home after church, put Aspen down for a nap, start dinner, Nick would wake up around 4 or 4:30, we'd eat a quick dinner and he was out the door by 5:30 pm.

Doing that for 2 years and 9 months was hard. I won't sugar coat it. Sunday's never felt like a day of rest. In fact, I often felt more frazzled, exhausted, and short tempered on a Sunday than any other day of the week. I gained a whole new respect and empathy for other women who do the Sunday shenanigans alone week after week. I have to say though, that even though the 3 hours at church was rough, I think being by myself on a Sunday night when Nick worked graveyards was the worst. Every other night of the week I was excellent at distracting myself. For some reason on Sunday nights, after the kids were in bed, I just felt really alone.

But I can say now (with a small pat on my back) that I did it. I tried really hard to never miss going to church just because it was too hard or I didn't feel like it (I'm kind of a masochist that way). Yes, I make TONS of mistakes. And now that I'm a parent, I feel like my mistake quota has quadrupled. BUT...I really feel I can look back on those few years with a clear conscience and say I did my best to be faithful in attending my meetings. Bottom line: I wanted to show the Lord how badly I wanted things to change with Nick's work schedule, so I tried my best to stay worthy of that blessing at all times. (Doctrine & Convenants 82:10)

And how quickly it changed. Nick told me a couple of months ago that his shift was going to change to the Wednesday - Saturday shift and I kind of didn't believe him. He has said that 2 or 3 times in the past and inevitably something happened at work (out of his control) that kept him on the Sunday - Wednesday shift. As much as I wanted to be excited about it, I kind of had this "I'm not going to get my hopes up" attitude.

But then it happened.

A few weeks ago, Nick went to church with us, stayed at church, came home with us and we ate a real (not rushed) Sunday dinner as a family. And to be honest, it was kind of a shock to my system. So much that I felt a few tears trickle down my cheek while I prepared dinner. I just kept thinking, "I can't believe it. He's here to stay. He doesn't have to sleep or be anywhere. This is AWESOME." 

So that is the story of Sunday's at the Sibert's. Yay for change! Yay for husband's who work hard! 
So grateful to have you back with us, Nicholas.  We've missed ya!

(OK, technically this ^ was our first Sunday together but I didn't count it because we were at our nephews farewell. At least I got a picture of it!)

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Aw, I love it. I'm so glad you get to have normal Sundays!
As a bishopric member's wife with 4 boys in tow, Sundays are my marathon days. And by "marathon" I mean "torture".
I find that Saturday evenings are dampened in dread of the coming morning. But at least I usually get him in the evenings, when there's not BYC or something (they do those Sunday evenings here. Mean.)
Congrats on getting him back! That's great news. I would have teared up making dinner, too.