June 3, 2013

8 is great!

Today is our 8th wedding anniversary. I'm a little embarrassed to report that we've never really done much for our anniversary. In fact, I can't remember the last time we just went out to dinner to celebrate! How sad is that? Well, this year we aren't doing anything...TODAY that is. Nick has a little something special planned out for later this week. I seriously can't wait. And no offense, but I kind of want to keep our little secret plans, well, secret - for now. Just want to create a little intrigue for all 5 of you who read my blog. ;)



 Now onto the mushy stuff: I think one of the first things that attracted me to Nick (besides his gorgeous, dreamy blue eyes) was that he was so different from most of the guys in my dating history. He definitely stuck out. He was very candid - sometimes a little too candid (see this post for more details). He could always make me laugh with his blunt one-liners. Also, I can't tell you how many times he made dinner for me while we dated. That was a huge sign of things to come. You might think, "well that was just to reel you in." Nope. Nick is a rare breed I tell ya. Cooking and cleaning in our home has always been a joint venture. In fact, he is much more of a neat freak than I am. This will probably sound like an exaggeration or me just trying to impress everyone with my lovey-dovey anniversary post, but no. This is fact: whenever I'm gone for any amount of time (a couple hours, out for the evening, gone an entire day) Nick will absolutely take care of everything in the home. He will do all the dishes, he will scrub the toilets, he will do the lawn work, take care of the kids and have them tucked in bed (when I'm out for the evening). If you can't tell already, Nick is the hardest worker. He worked full-time and went to school full-time for over 4 years with 2 little ones at home and a mortgage to pay. That was a heavy load to carry but he never once complained. He literally lives the phrase: "forget yourself and go to work."

These pics are from when we lived in Anchorage, Alaska. I cherish that first year. We grew a lot and learned a lot. It was a fun adventure that I still hold close to my heart.





Just thought I'd throw in this GQ picture of Nick - though the pic does not do his eyes justice. If you ever feel the urge to get lost in a deep, blue sea of tranquility, just stare into Nick's eyes for a few moments (I'm totally laughing right now, you should be too). Seriously though, they are gorgeous. :)

Love you, Nick. I'm so happy we have shared 8 glorious years together. Look forward to forever with you.

2 comments:

Aleta said...

Awwwww - 8 IS great! We just hit that mark as well. Can Nick teach Bryan to do some cleaning though? I seriously do all of it (except Bryan will put toys away, but that's about it).

Colleen said...

Ha ha, luckily Jim has deep green seas of tranquility, so I'll just gaze into his eyes instead of Nick's. :) Happy happy anniversary, so glad you made it a good one!