Today I was thinking about how I have been craving very specific, spicy foods with this pregnancy. When I was pregnant with Toby I think I craved chips and salsa for the first trimester, and then the cravings stopped. This time around, my craving for spice hasn't waned. Not only that but but one week I can't get enough of one particular type of food, then next week I want nothing to do with it. Here are just a few I've made note of so far:
- When I was sick, I craved Doritos Salsa Verde chips for at least 3 weeks solid. And then I over did it one night and threw them up. To this day, just the seeing a bag of them at Wal-Mart makes me queasy.
- I had a good two weeks where I ate a turkey sandwich on a white deli roll for both lunch and dinner. I wanted nothing on it but loads of pepper jack cheese and a little mustard. Now it sounds gross.
- This one isn't spicy but I thought I would list it anyway: A bagel with LOTS and LOTS of cream cheese slathered on top. Ever had one from Gandolfo's? Mmmm...its heaven.
- You know those awesome blossom appetizers at restaurants (basically a deep fried onion)? I literally had to go out to eat last weekend just so I could have one of those with some of that yummy horseradish dipping sauce. That, along with a small salad, was my meal for the night.
- The latest ongoing craving is jalapeno rings from Del Taco. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. When I first had this craving, I ignored it because I thought it would upset my stomach or at least give me heartburn. I finally gave in one day when I was running errands near a Del Taco. I think I devoured them in less than 60 seconds and anxiously awaited some type of negative repercussion. But nothing! In fact I found myself wanting to go back for for round 2, but decided not to push my luck.
So there you have it. I'm not sure why spicy things seem to hit the spot so much for me. I am a bit of a spice junkie normally, but being pregnant seems to turn me into a spice maniac.
Have any of you had any crazy cravings during a pregnancy? I would love to hear them...especially the SPICY ones. :)