May 23, 2011

The Scoop

I know, I look huge. Partly because of the IV and partly because our camera adds 10 lbs. Nick assured me, "I promise you don't look that big in real life."
Thanks Nick.

This is pathetically late, but here it is: My delivery

Monday morning I got a call at 10:30 from the hospital asking if I could be there in 30 minutes. They were supposed to call me the night before and give me an exact time to come to the hospital, but for some reason they had an unusual amount of inductions scheduled so they weren't sure if they could squeeze me in. I assured them I would be able to make it, and yes, even coming all the way from Eagle Mountain (the lady on the phone seemed worried about our 20 minute commute). As soon as I hung up, we said our goodbyes to Nick's parents and the T-man (which was actually really hard for me) and arrived right at 11:00. They didn't get the pitocin going until about 12:30 and by 4:30 I was dilated to a 4.5. Oh and somewhere in there I got an epidural, which was much more pleasant this time around (first time it only took on one side which was more annoying than anything). Finally around 4:45 my doctor arrived, broke my water, and then Nick and I just chatted with my parents for a good 45 minutes. Suddenly, I felt LOTS of pressure and a strong desire to push. I kept telling myself it was probably just the contractions getting stronger. With Toby, I didn't need to push for a good 9 hours after they broke my water, so I thought there was no way I would have dilated to a 10 in less than an hour. I kept squirming on my bed until finally I told my parents that I was feeling lots of pressure. My mom instantly perked up, "Oh! Really?!" (she is very dramatic) "Do you want me to get a nurse?" As if on cue, my nurse walked in. I asked if she could check me, thinking that I was maybe a 6 or 7. She smiled and said, "Are you ready to push?" I looked at her shocked. "What?" I was in disbelief. "You're at a 10." "Wow, that was fast," was all I could say. Toby took a good 14 hours to make his appearance - 6 days late, even on pitocin after an hour of pushing. Aspen made her appearance in about 5 1/2 hours with only 5 minutes of pushing. When I saw her, I realized why the pushing was slightly easier - she was so little! I couldn't believe at 40 weeks she was only 6 lbs 14 oz. I was much bigger with this pregnancy . Even got few stretch marks this time, along with terrible back and hip pain. I'm attributing all the weight gain to more amniotic fluid (there seemed to be much more this time). It's either that or me eating way too much comfort food the last trimester. Maybe a combo of both.


After a visiting with some family, Nick decided to go back home to make sure Toby hadn't completely worn out his parents. I admit, I was sad to be spending the next two nights in the hospital without him. But after he left, I decided I should just make the most of having my every whim catered to. Some women hate the hospital stay. I milk it for all it's worth. :)

So a funny little side note about my stay: AF Hospital provides a discharge orientation. I really didn't want to have to change out of the stylish hospital gown for a 20 minute meeting so I asked my nurse if I needed to. "Oh no," she replied. "Most everyone comes to the orientation in their gown." Um, no. I arrived to find out that 3/4 of the women were showered and dressed. I shuffled in feeling quite sheepish, especially when I saw some husbands mingled in. I immediately tightened my gown and sat down avoiding all eye contact. Except I couldn't help but notice the girl seated next to me. She not only had beautifully straightened hair, was wearing make-up and some cute work-out clothes, but she did not look like she just had a baby. She was a toothpick. I kept thinking we must have been quite the sight: scroungy, bloated hospital gown girl next to hot, sporty chick. Yeah, not my favorite moment in the hospital. But it makes a great story, right?

There is so much I could say about the days at home, but I'm too tired for the details so the short version is this: There has definitely been some long days adjusting to two kids, mainly because they both demand so much but have different needs. But for the most part its been good. The hardest part is coping with sleep deprivation and the migraines from the lack of sleep. Toby adores Aspen and is becoming more patient with sharing mommy. Aspen's jaundice is still lingering though she has been off the lights for some time. I am currently giving her a bit of formula to see if that can clear it up faster. Nick LOVES not having homework after work (so do I) and is spending all his free time with giving me naps and building a chicken coop. Yes, we will be getting chickens very soon. *sigh* That is also another post I am too tired do write about.

Now I will leave you with some newborn pics of Aspen and me, as well as some pics of the home life.

Aspen May

Deborah May

My little superman showing off at Grandma Rarick's house


Kristina said...

She looks just like you! She is adorable and I can't wait to meet her.
And you DO NOT look huge or anything. Just like a cute pregnant lady who's ready to meet her beanette!

Jessie said...

I was just wishing for a new post from you. Man, she's cute! And she looks a ton like your baby picture. What fun! Kind of weird that I don't see much of your parents in you (am I wrong?), but both your kids seem to have gotten a lot of your features. Lucky kids.

I love the orientation story. HA!

Have fun with the difficult but oh so sweet newborn stage.

Karisty said...

I'm glad everything went well and she came quickly. My MIL got chickens... Good luck with that.

Colleen said...

Such a pretty, tiny girl! I'm so glad your birth went so smoothly. I hope baby girl is letting you get a bit more sleep!